Sometimes it’s easy to notice if you need a new appliance. If your refrigerator doesn’t keep your food fresh, or if your dishwasher fails to keep your dishes clean, then you know you need to replace them. More often than not, however, issues with your water heater can go unnoticed for long periods of time – and by the time you do notice a problem, it has stopped working completely!
Stay ahead of water heater break downs! Keep an eye out for some of the telltale signs that your water heater is due for an upgrade:
- Age of the System – Any water heating system that’s more than 10 years old should be replaced, simply because modern equipment is more efficient and an aged system could be closer to breaking down.
- Rust in the Water – If your hot water appears rusty, it’s an indication that the inside of your water heater could be rusting, which can lead to a leak sooner than later.
- Lack of Hot Water – If you notice while showering that the water keeps turning cold, sediment buildup in your water heater could be separating the water from the internal heating source. Lack of hot water is the most common sign that your water heater will stop working soon.
- Noisy Operation – Just as sediment buildup can cause a lack of hot water, it can also cause a lot of noise within the unit. It’s more of an inconvenience that your once silent water heater is now making a ruckus, but it’s not something to be ignored!
- Appearance of Leaks – One of the most straight-forward ways of determining if you need a new water heating system is noticing a leak. If you frequently find puddles of water around your equipment, call us right away for immediate assistance.
If you notice any of the signs mentioned above, you should get in touch with South Shore Heating & Cooling to determine if you’re in need of an equipment upgrade! You can call us, or contact us online to discuss any concerns you may have. If you’re facing a water heater emergency, don’t use our online contact form and instead call us directly at 508-398-6901.